As with anything there are some ground rules that frugalistas must follow, they are as follows;
- It’s not what you earn it’s what you save – this has been my mantra and has worked. No matter how little I earned I always saved, a little or a lot every month into a savings account – it soon adds up. Important though to have a goal for saving – a holiday, car, deposit on a house etc.
- Free or flea – there are webpages such as Tradera, Blocket, eBay, Craigslist etc. where you can get things for free, someone else’s junk could be your gold. Otherwise flea markets, second-hand shops, garage sales, eBay are great for getting something special at a great price – it’s like a treasure hunt.
- If you have to buy it, buy it cheaper – do your research on the web and newspapers, sales are on nearly all year round so compare prices so you get the best deal possible.
- Living for less – if you can’t earn more, save more then you need to spend less – find other ways of earning extra cash, by renting out a room in your house/flat or as we have done renting out our summerhouse. Make lunchboxes instead of buying expensive lunches every day at 100 kronor, it all adds up.
- Make a budget – how much do you spend every month on food, clothes, bills etc., if you don´t know what you spend how can you know how you can save. I have realised that we spend far too much on take away food, pizzas, McDonalds etc. – this is something we can do without!
- I have tried to NOT spend at all for a week and found this experience invaluable. Ask the question – do I need this or just want it!
- Eat less meat – it’s a frugal tip and a healthy tip!
- Go to the library – great for the whole family, DVDs, magazines and books, its great!
- Less is more – sell your unwanted items, declutter and feel stress free! do you really need these items ?
- Last tip – if you can’t afford it don’t buy it!